Archive for June, 2009
The Dental Hygiene Program at Mount Ida College recently donated over 100 dental “care packages” to UAC! Each care package contained a toothbursh, toothpaste, dental hygiene workbook, and a cute Beanie Baby– all sure to put a smile on the kid’s faces in Odessa! The items have already been shipped to Odessa, so check back soon for pictures of the children receiving the packages from Mount Ida. Thanks again, Mount Ida, for helping keep our children’s teeth clean and for making them smile!
Throughout all of our institutions, new shoes are badly needed on a regular basis. UAC was recently able to purchase new shoes for the children at Lastochka TB. If you would like to help purchase new shoes for children at any of our other institutions, please let us know! E-mail: UAC_Ukraine@yahoo.com
We have some great news to share! The UAC Orphaned Teen Scholarship Program has 18 students that will be graduating from university or vocational school over the next month or so. This is quite an accomplishment for these young people and we are all very proud of them! We’d like to give a great big “thank you” to all of the faithful sponsors who helped put these determined students on the path to a bright future!
1) Lubov Mokhova— Odessa National Academy of Food Technologies
2) Karina Peregudova— Technical School #20
3) Olga Boncheva– Odessa Professional School #35 Hair Dresser’s Department
4) Anna Slavova—Odessa Basic Medical School
5) Alexander Zykov— Technical School of Communication Service #31
6) Misha Pozhar—Odessa Maritime School of Fish Industry
7) Vyacheslav Levchenko– Odessa Professional High Vocational School of Maritime Tourist Service #26 (Chef School #26)
Yaroslav Kramarenko— Odessa College of Food Technologies
9) Fabio Pereiro– Odessa Maritime School of Fish Industry
10) Konstantin Katyshevtsev– Odessa Technical Maritime School by Marinesko
11) Ruslan Otyan– Odessa Professional High Vocational School of Maritime Tourist Service #26 (Chef School #26)
12) Arthur Neizvestny— Technical School of Communication Service #31
13) Elena Grinik — Odessa Professional High Vocational School of Maritime Tourist Service #26
14) Alexey Speransky— Odessa College of Food Technologies
15) Maxim Atamenko — Odessa Technical Maritime School by Marinesko
16) Ruslan Lugovoy— Odessa Professional School #35 Hair Dresser’s Department
17) Andrey Britousov— Odessa Railway School #30
18) Sergey Shevchenko— Odessa Polytechnic University
One Monday June 1st, children and staff celebrated Children’s Day (День захисту дітей, literally “day of child’s protection”)
The boys at Fontaka take pride in their greenhouse! They are currently growing cucumbers and other veggies, all of which are used in their meals.
On Monday May 25th, loyal volunteer John Nickleach and the UAC staff held a ribbon cutting ceremony to celebrate the completion of the new stairs at Orphanage #34. Igor and his team did a great job!
Last week Project Stretch dental volunteers Dr. Brookes, Joyce and Elina visited UAC’s institutions in Odessa for the first time! The team (1 dentist and 2 hygienists) gave dental hygiene lessons to many children in several different orphanages and shelters. Read on to learn more about the important work they did while in Odessa…
Friday, May 22: Dental hygiene lessons for the children at the Orphanage for the Blind
Monday, May 25: Meeting with Dr. Anatoly Gulyuk and visit to the Stomatological Institute
Monday, May 25: Dental hygiene lessons at the shelter
Tuesday, May 26: The Project Stretch dental team sits in on a dental operation performed by Dr. Gulyuk at the Stomatological Institute. In the afternoon, they visited and taught dental hygiene lessons at Orphanage #5.
Wednesday, May 27: Visit to Dr. Gulyuk’s private dental clinic
Wednesday, May 27: Dental hygiene presentations at Orphanage #7